6 August 2002
The Merrick House is a historical landmark home built by Mr.
& Mrs. Solomon Merrick at the beginning of the 20th century in what is now
the City of Coral Gables. In 1906, when the house was completed, it was located
in a 'remote' part of south Florida and was accessible only by the most
primitive of trails. The Merricks named their oolitic limestone home "Coral Gables" for the coral rock
construction and Ludovici tile gabled roof, and after "Grey Gables," which was the summer home of
former president Grover Cleveland in Buzzard's Bay, Massachusetts. Within a few years of their arrival,
the Merricks were cultivating grapefruit and other crops on several acres west of the home.
The Merricks later named their thriving citrus and vegetable business Coral Gables Plantation.
We are proud to certify the Merrick House grounds as the 11th 'Florida Yard' in
Click on the
thumbnail photos to enlarge them.