Tropical Fruit Production
There are many publications by the University of Florida that deal with tropical fruit. You can search for a particular topic on the EDIS website or visit any of these popular links.
Payment must be made in the form of personal check or money order. We can not accept cash. Credit cards accepted online.
Class, Location & Time
March 11, 2014
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Miami Dade Extension
18710 SW 288th St.
Homestead, FL 33030
Guava and Papaya Pests Workshop
With over 12,000 acres of tropical fruit in production, tropical fruit is a valuable economic resource for the state of Florida. There are many pests which affect tropical fruit and this workshop will familiarize you with all of those insects, as well as provide ideas for treatment of these pests. This workshop will cover the pests that affect guavas and papayas.
There will also be an opportunity at the end of the workshop to get insects identified by the scientists of the TREC University of Florida Entomology Lab.
The Latest on Laurel Wilt - a Disease Impacting Avocados
Contact Your Commercial Tropical Fruit Agent
Jeff Wasielewski, M.S.
18710 SW 288 Street
Homestead, FL 33030-2309
305-248-3311, ext. 227
Food safety should now be a part of every commercial vegetable grower’s program. There are several websites that provide excellent information and resources about Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs):
- Farm & Packinghouse Recordkeeping Sheets (these can also be ordered from the link below)
- National GAPs Educational Materials
- National GAPs Web Links
- USDA GAPS audit
- University of Florida : Tomatoes & Food Safety
- Global G.A.P. (please note that this is a private sector body that sets voluntary standards for the certification of agricultural products around the globe)
More Tropical Fruit Links
- Chill Accumulation Monitoring and Forecasting
- Chilli thrips Scirtothrips dorsalis Hood (Insecta: Thysanoptera: Thripidae)
- A Guide to EPA’s Proposed Numeric Nutrient Water Quality Criteria for Florida
- Pruning, Topping, & Hedging Avocado Groves
- Scouting for the Ambrosia Beetle Attack of Avocado
- Monitoreo del Escarabajo Ambrosia del Laurel Rojo
- RAB-LW Commercial Recommendations
- Redbay Ambrosia Beetle Homeowner Recomendations
- Tropical Fruits-Local Packing Houses
- Cold Protection of Tropical Fruits
- Tropical Research & Education Center's (TREC)
Tropical Fruit Management Program
- Tropical Fruit Photography (Ian McGuire, TREC)
- Cuban Agriculture - Vegetables & Tropical Fruit Publications
- Laurel wilt: a threat to avocado & related trees
- La marchitez del Laurel Rojo
- Redbay Ambrosia Beetle & Laurel Wilt Fungus
Ambrosia del Laurel Rojo
- Laurel wilt: a destructive new disease in the southeastern US
- Pests of banana in Florida
- Diagnosis and management of banana diseases
- Disease resistant banana cultivars
- How to grow healthy plants
- Updates on fertilizer prices
- How to collect leaf samples
- Improving fertilizer use efficiency
- Water, nutrition, and plant disease
Need more information? Check out our Tropical Fruit & Related Publications.