4-H Youth Sportfishing
The world of youth sportfishing is about more than just catching fish. Youth learn angling skills, how to make their own tackle, important concepts in aquatic/marine ecology, and the relationship between fish, people, and the environment.
As a volunteer leader, you can help local youth gain important life skills and support their positive growth and development through exciting and fun sportfishing activities and projects.
The Miami-Dade County Youth Fishing program has a limited number of fishing rods and tackle kits that can be checked out for members of 4-H sportfishing clubs. Contact Ivette Valentin (305) 592 8044 for more information.
- Video (Media Player, 5.5 mb)
What you can do as a Volunteer:
- Attend a 4-H sportfishing workshop to help you become more familiar with youth-related sportfishing activities.
- Develop a variety of projects and/ or activities that allow youth to "experience" the fun and rewards of sportfishing by incorporating the experiential learning cycle in all activities.
- Support youth in their efforts to set goals and complete projects in sportfishing.
- Take a kid fishing!.
The Miami-Dade County 4-H youth sportfishing program has partnered with a number of local, state, and national organizations, local buisnesses, fishing clubs, and volunteers in order to provide quality educational programs and fantastic fishing fun!
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Natonal Park Service
- Oleta River State Park
- Fish Florida Foundation
- Miami-Dade County Dept of Consumer Services
- Yamaha Contender Miami Billfish Tournament
- Capt Wayne Conn & Reward Fishing Fleet
- High Tailin It baitshop - Cutler Bay
- Don's Bait & Tackle - Homestead
- The Academy of South Florida
If you are interested in supporting the youth fishing program or volunteering for an unpcoming sportfishing event, you can contact Ivette Valentin (305) 592 8044 for more information.
Para leer en Español
Clover Times Newsletter
- October 2012
- May 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- October 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- January 2011
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- May 2010
- March 2010
- January 2010
Contact 4-H Staff
- International Mall Office
Miami International Mall
1455 NW 107th Ave., Suite 906 Miami, Fl 33172
Phone: 305-592-8044 or 305-592-8049
- Cassandra Weston, Agent
- Shirley Bender, 4H Secretary
- Teresa Schroder, EFNEP Youth Program Assistant